PATHWAY BEYOND COVID-19 LOCKDOWNS - THE FOUR PHASE PLAN
* Suppression phase: Current state of play. States can put in place early and short lockdowns to deal with COVID-19.
* Transition phase: The national average for the vaccination program as a percentage of eligible adults is achieved nationally (70 per cent) and the state itself has achieved the threshold in that state. States seek to minimise serious illness, hospitalisation and fatalities with low-level restrictions. Lockdowns are less likely but possible. Vaccinated Australians returning from overseas will have access to more quarantine options.
* Consolidation phase: When 80 per cent vaccination threshold met. Minimum restrictions with highly targeted lockdowns. Exempt vaccinated residents from all domestic restrictions. Abolish caps on returning vaccinated Australians and lift outbound travel restrictions for vaccinated Australians.
* Final phase: No vaccination target has been recommended. Opening international borders. Quarantine for high-risk inbound travel. Minimisation of local cases without restrictions. Living with COVID-19.
* No timeframes have been put on the phases, but it is anticipated the "transition phase" could be reached by the end of the year.
(Source: Prime Minister Scott Morrison)
Australian Associated Press