AN impressive array of residents is vying for Australia Day awards at various ceremonies throughout the Upper Hunter next month.
While activities are planned for Merriwa and Murrurundi on Sunday, January 26, Scone and Aberdeen will stage a combined event at council chambers in Liverpool Street at the same time.
"It's a great opportunity to congratulate our Upper Hunter Australia Day Award winners and, in the afternoon, enjoy free entry at the pools," mayor Wayne Bedggood said.
"Even though there is one service at Scone this year, both the Aberdeen and Scone winners will be announced.
"The Upper Hunter Shire Australia Day Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen are then chosen from the town's respective victors.
"Australia Day Ambassadors Taylor Corry and Graham Ross will also share their stories and help present the Australia Day awards."
UPPER HUNTER AUSTRALIA DAY PROGRAM
Merriwa - RSL, Bettington Street
- 10.30am: Ambassador's Address, Australia Day Awards Ceremony
- 12.30pm: Free barbecue lunch
- 2pm- 6pm: Free entry to Merriwa pool, local entertainment, prizes and sausages sizzle
Murrurundi - Wilson Memorial Oval
- 9am: Markets
- 10am: Grand Parade starts from Rosedale Complex
- 11am: Australia Day Awards for Citizen, Achiever and Community Group of the Year
- 7-a-side cricket match for juniors and seniors
- Barbecue provided by the P&C
- Enjoy music by Chloe and James
- 1pm to 6pm: Free entry to Murrurundi pool
Scone - Council Chambers, 135 Liverpool Street
- 8.30am: Barbecue breakfast
- 9.30am: Awards ceremony including Australian citizenship ceremony, Ambassador's Address and Australia Day Awards
- Scone RSL Pipes and Drums, Scone Singers
- Noon to 4pm: Free entry to Scone pool
Australia Day Ambassadors
Scone and Aberdeen - Taylor Corry has been an Australia Day Ambassador for several years and won two silver medals in swimming at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.
Merriwa - Gardening guru, radio broadcaster, television presenter (Better Homes and Gardens) and author Graham Ross has educated, entertained and inspired Australia's gardening community and aspiring green thumbs during a career that has spanned more than 50 years.
Upper Hunter Shire Australia Day Awards nominees
Carole and Bob Johnston
Miss Bella-Rose Partridge
John & Carol Richard
Merriwa Tourist Welcoming Centre & Men's Shed
Doing it for our Farmers
Blandford Relay Team