WITH a number of blazes throughout the region at the moment, another Total Fire Ban has been declared for the Greater Hunter on Thursday.
A string of fires are currently under control in the Barrington Tops, the Meads Creek West inferno - which ripped through more than 7000 hectares - is now at advice level, while firefighters are battling tough surroundings within the Wollemi National Park and Pokolbin State Forest, as well as others in the Muswellbrook and Singleton Local Government Areas (LGAs).
More bushfires are also out of control at the Little L Complex, near Wollombi, and Paddock Run near Howes Valley.
Roads remain affected in many of those areas.
Further hot and windy conditions are predicted on December 5.
So, the Total Fire Ban, starting at midnight on December 4, covers the following councils: Cessnock, Dungog, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Muswellbrook, Newcastle, Port Stephens, Singleton and Upper Hunter.
The NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) provides the following advice:
Under severe fire conditions
- Well-prepared homes that are actively defended can provide safety during a fire
- Follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan and remain vigilant
- Keep informed by listening to local radio, watching television news broadcasts and monitoring www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Meanwhile, the Putty Road is closed between Colo River and Milbrodale.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area.
Many other roads remain closed due to bushfires including:
- Wisemans Ferry to Mill Creek - Wisemans Ferry Road is closed
- Broke to Wollombi - Wollombi and Paynes Crossing Road are closed
- Wollombi to Bucketty - Great North Road is closed
- Wollombi to Laguna - Yango Creek Road is closed
- Buchanan - John Renshaw Drive is closed between George Booth Drive and Wallsend Street
- North Batemans Bay to Dolphin Point - the Princes Highway is closed
- Katoomba - Cliff Drive is closed between Acacia Street and Peckmans Road
- Eatonsville to Bald Nob - the Gwydir Highway is closed
- Walcha to Mount Seaview - the Oxley Highway is closed
- Buccarumbi to Newton Boyd - Old Glen Innes Road is closed
- Clouds Creek to Coutts Crossing - Armidale Road is closed
- Comboyne to Upper Lansdowne - Koppin Yarratt Road is closed
- Comboyne to Killabakh - Comboyne Road/Wingham Road and Colling Road are closed