WHO IS ANTHONY ALBANESE?
* The 56-year-old has been the member for the inner west Sydney seat of Grayndler since 1996.
* Began his political life at university before working for Labor minister Tom Uren, the NSW party machine and NSW premier Bob Carr.
* Studied economics at the University of Sydney.
* Was in the shadow ministry three years after entering parliament.
* Became manager of opposition business in the House of Representatives under Kevin Rudd.
* Became Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Regional Development and Local Government when Labor won the 2007 federal election.
* Was deputy prime minister after Rudd's brief return to the leadership following the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd bloodbaths.
* In that short window he was also Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy.
* Vied for the role of Labor leader against Bill Shorten in 2013 and lost, despite winning the popular vote.
* Passionate about a high-speed rail network for Australia.
* Lifetime supporter of the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
* Moonlights as 'DJ Albo', spinning tracks at gigs and ALP fundraisers.
* There's a beer named after him - the 'Albo Corn Ale' brewed by Willie the Boatman - which is in his electorate.
* Has separated from wife Carmel Tebbutt, a former deputy premier of NSW. The pair have a teenage son, Nathan.
Australian Associated Press