Bulga Community Centre celebrates 125 years

Col Pike and his sister Robyn Wylie with Phil Reid cutting the birthday cake at Bulga Community Centre.
Col Pike and his sister Robyn Wylie with Phil Reid cutting the birthday cake at Bulga Community Centre.

THE 125th anniversary of the Bulga Community Centre took place on Sunday with more than 100 people in attendance.

The Bulga Community Centre has played a vital role in the Bulga township for the past 125 years.

It is a place for the locals to come together to celebrate events such as dances, concerts, birthday, weddings, anniversaries, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and much more.

The hall is utilised on a regular weekly basis for social raffle nights, bingo and the like making it a focal point for the residents.

Many past and present locals gathered to enjoy at day of history, memories and reflections.

It was a great occasion with many tales being told from the past 125 years.  

There was a wonderful display of memorabilia to showcase the history and events of the Bulga Hall.

Robyn Wiley and Colin Pike (relatives of former trustee – Bill Pike) were in attendance to cut the cake.

Stewart Mitchell spoke on the history of Bulga and its first pioneers.

After its original discovery, one of whom was William Glas McAlpin who came to Bulga in 1826.

He donated the land for the purpose of building a “School of Arts” which is today known as the Bulga Community Centre.

The original building was built by E.J. Bird in 1893 at a cost of 200 pounds.

Also, during the celebrations on Sunday, Phillip and Carol Reid were presented with life memberships of the Bulga Community Centre for their 35 years of commitment and dedication.

They have worked tirelessly on many community events and projects and their ongoing volunteer work is to be highly-commended and recognised.

These two very worthy recipients have volunteered thousands of hours towards making Bulga the great community it is today.

Overall, a great day was had by all.