THE NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) is calling on all Singleton and Muswellbrook residents to join with its volunteer firefighters and prepare for the coming bush fire season on Get Ready Weekend.
Locals can take part in fun family events including kids’ activities, firefighting displays, opportunities to hop aboard a fire truck, and see some of their specialist equipment.
Importantly, they can also obtain some information and advice on preparing their properties for the bush fire season.
NSW RFS operational officer Leanne Bell said all residents in the Singleton and Muswellbrook LGAs need to be prepared.
“It has already been a busy start to the fire season with more than 2000 bush and grass fires across NSW during August,” she explained.
“With all of NSW in drought and a forecast of ongoing warm and dry conditions, there is the potential for a long and protracted bush fire season.
“NSW RFS members have been busy preparing by undertaking hazard reduction burns, maintaining firefighting equipment and undergoing training.
“Get Ready Weekend is a chance for Singleton and Muswellbrook residents to do their bit to prepare and protect their family and property in the event of a fire.”
Operational officer Bell said 10 events would be conducted in Singleton and Muswellbrook.
“Volunteer firefighters will be available to talk to about the simple things you can do to reduce your bush fire risk,” she said.
“Preparing for bush fires is easier than people may think.
“It could be as simple as talking to your family about what you would do if a bush fire was to start near them.
“Get Ready Weekend on September 22 and 23 is the ideal opportunity to take that action.”
A full list of local events is available at www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/getready
For current incidents or major fire updates, visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Events in Singleton and Muswellbrook –
* Whittingham Brigade - display stand and NSW RFS volunteer firefighters at The Albion Hotel for Singleton pig races, September 15 (1pm-4pm)
* Darlington Brigade - display stand and NSW RFS volunteer firefighters at the Singleton Show, September 21 and 22 (9am-2pm)
* Edinglassie and Darlington Brigades - BBQ and NSW RFS volunteer firefighters at local Bunnings store, September 22 and 23 (9am-3pm)
* Glennies Creek Brigade – Open Day at NSW RFS Glennies Creek Brigade, 275 Carrowbrook Road, Mt Olive, September 22 (10am-4pm)
* Bulga Brigade - display stand and NSW RFS volunteer firefighters at the Milbrodale School Fair, September 16 (9am-2pm)
* Kayuga Brigade - display stand and NSW RFS volunteer firefighters at Muswellbrook Fair car park, September 22 (8am-noon)
* Mangoola Brigade - Open Day at NSW RFS Mangoola Brigade, Merton Street, Denman, September 22 (10am-5pm)
* Wybong Brigade - display stand and NSW RFS volunteers firefighters at Wybong Hall, Wybong Post Office Road, September 22 (10am-4pm)
* McCullys Gap Brigade - Open Day at NSW RFS McCullys Gap Brigade, 1050 Sandy Creek Road, McCullys Gap, September 23 (10am-5pm)