Your Privacy Rights
We share information with employers. We are unable to control their use of your data. We also do not control the data use practices of either (a) those who access your information on or through our sites and applications or (b) ad networks and other third parties with whom we work to serve you personalised ads.
Information collected on our sites and applications is stored in whole or in part in the United States; therefore, your information may become subject to U.S. law.
Scope of this Policy
This policy applies to information we collect on sites and applications owned or controlled by CareerOne Pty Limited, its affiliated companies (“CareerOne”) or job sites we manage on behalf of Rural Press Pty Ltd. Affiliated companies are entities that control, are controlled by or are under common control with CareerOne.
We link to other websites over which we have no control. CareerOne is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of other websites. You may wish to review the privacy policies of those sites so you can understand how they collect, use and share your information.
Information We Collect and Retain
We collect information about you when you use our sites and applications. For example, depending on the services you use, we collect:
- Your name, contact information such as address, email address, telephone number
- Credit card number and billing information (for services requiring payment)
- Information about your education, occupation, skills and experience, awards, memberships and affiliations, activities and interests
- Information imported by you or your connections from third party applications
- Information about third parties, such as references or contacts, that you provide to us if you have their express written consent to do so
- Your postal code, preferences, career history, favorites
- Your age, gender, race or ethnicity, if permitted by local law and you choose to provide it
We automatically collect information about how you use our sites and mobile applications, the areas of our site that you visit, as well as information about your computer or mobile device including your IP address, device ID, physical location, browser and operating system type, and referring URLs. This information is necessary for providing personalised and location-based content as well as for analysing the use of resources, troubleshooting problems, preventing fraud, and improving our services. We may combine this information with information in your account to help prevent fraud.
If you choose to login with Facebook or similar sites, we import the information that you choose to share with us by installing the application or logging into that platform or site, and we make it part of your profile. Because CareerOne sites and applications are intended to allow you to share your information and to allow others to find you, we make certain information about you publicly available by default. Such information may, for example, be accessed by everyone on the Internet, including users without accounts, and may appear in public search engine search results. However, you can control the visibility of your information by managing your privacy settings. You can also restrict the information available to others by deleting information you do not want visible or by not providing it at all.
When you post information on another user’s profile or comment on another user’s post, the public availability of that information will be subject to the other user’s privacy settings.
How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to provide our services, respond to you, operate and improve our sites and applications, and foster a positive user experience. Our services include the display of personalised products, content, and advertising relating to your career experience and interests, either on our site or other sites with which we have a business relationship.
By registering with CareerOne, by managing your profile, or by opting in when presented with choices, you have consented for us to use your information in the following ways:
- to create a profile for you based on information that you have provided to us, information imported from other sites or applications, or information provided to us by third parties such as your contacts or advertisers;
- to provide personalised, targeted, or location-based content, services, and advertising from us and third parties;
- to allow you to contact other users or to invite others to join or create and account;
- to allow you to import information about yourself or your contacts from other sites or applications or to export your information to other sites or applications;
- to make purchases;
- to contact you about feature updates, informational and service-related communications, including important security updates;
- to provide you with additional communications, information, and promotions such as newsletters and career advice;
- to inform you of other products or services available from CareerOne or its affiliates;
- to enable you to contact us and for us to respond to you to conduct surveys, promotions and contests, and to publish the results thereof;
- to help your friends, contacts, and potential employers find your profile and connect with you;
- to provide information about you and your potential interest in job postings to employer customersand other service providers interested in supporting your career development;
- to provide products and services to employer customers to complete the recruitment and hiring process;
- to provide products and services that enable users to network, post information on bulletin boards, view and compare profiles;
- to generate internal reports about the use of our sites and applications;
- to allow you to share jobs and profile information with your connections;
- to give search engines access to public information;
- to detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal; and
- to make suggestions and draw inferences about you. For example, we may make suggestions about people you may know or additional jobs, products or services that might be of interest to you. Or, if you identify yourself as “Mrs.” we will assume you are female.
In addition, unless you tell us otherwise then we will also contact you (including via telephone) about enrolling in education and training courses with our third party education provider partners. If you do not want to be contacted for these purposes, please let us know by contacting us via email [firstname.lastname@example.org] or via the other methods provided at the bottom of this policy.
Some of our products and services, such as our searchable CV database and networking, enable third parties to see your personal information and your resume and to contact you. Profile information may be used for networking with other community members or may be visible to employers who are using CareerOne sites and applications.
Information you post in public areas of CareerOne sites or applications or upload to CareerOne may be accessed, used, and stored by others around the world, including those in countries that might not have legislation that guarantees adequate protection of personal information as defined by your country of residence. While CareerOne takes measures to safeguard your information from unauthorised access or inappropriate use, CareerOne does not control these third parties and we are not responsible for their use of information you give to us. Accordingly, you should not post sensitive information, personality profiles, or any other information you would not want made public, to any CareerOne site or application.
We use data we have about you to determine whether you might be interested in the opportunities, products or services of a particular third party. We show you targeted ads on our sites or other sites with which we have a business relationship. These ads are targeted based on information we collect about you and information about you we acquire from third parties.
How We Share Information
One of our primary purposes is to provide you with a platform to broadcast the information in your CV and profile widely in order to maximise your career opportunities. The information we gather may be shared within the CareerOne group of companies on a worldwide basis as well as select third parties who provide services to support your career development. By using our services, you agree that your information may be shared with these third parties. We disclose your information as set forth below:
- We share your information with third parties who help deliver our products and services to you. Examples include hosting our web servers, including CV database storage, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use that data for any other purpose. We will remain responsible for any information shared in this way.
We may disclose information to third parties. For example:
- all parties with access to our searchable CV database will have access to your CV;
- you will receive information about the opportunities, products, or services of third parties: we supply your contact information to those third parties so they may contact you;
if you previously received newsletters, commercial e-mails or other communications from CareerOne or third parties, but subsequently change your mind, you may opt out in those emails or by editing your account profile as described above.
By applying to a job or providing your contact information to show interest in a job, you consent to the disclosure of your information to that employer.
- We also share aggregated information (including location data) about CareerOne site visitors and application users with third parties to serve advertisements to you on our sites or other sites with which we have a business relationship. We may also aggregate data regarding job qualifications, schooling, age, experience level or other information relevant to the job search. This aggregated data does not identify users individually, and may be made available to employers or fellow job seekers or community members. If we create a co-branded site with another company, information will be retained by both companies and subject to the privacy policies of both companies which will be published on the co-branded sites.
- We disclose information if legally required to do so, or at our discretion pursuant to a request from a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith – after considering your privacy interests and other factors – that such action is necessary to: (a) meet legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect our rights or property or our affiliated companies; (c) prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
- We may disclose and transfer information to a third party who acquires any or all of CareerOne’s business units, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event CareerOne becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, such information will be disposed of in a transaction approved by the court. You will be notified of the sale of all or a substantial portion of our business to a third party by email or through a prominent notice posted on the site.
An Important Note about Your CV
When you create or post a CV, we store it in our searchable CV database. Visible and limited CVs can be found by anyone with access to our CV database. We cannot control the retention, use or privacy of CVs that have been viewed or downloaded by others.
We attempt to limit access to our searchable CV database to legitimate users such as paying employers, recruiters, hiring managers, headhunters human resource professionals and, career development specialists but cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. We cannot control the use made of CVs by third parties who access the CV database. Once your CV has been disclosed, CareerOne is not able to retrieve it from the third parties who accessed it.
You may remove your CV from our searchable database at any time. However anyone who viewed your CV may have kept a copy of it in their own files or databases. Accordingly, you should not put sensitive information, personality profiles, or other information you would not want made public, in your CV.
CVs you give to us must not contain sensitive data relating to your (i) racial or ethnic origin (ii) political beliefs (iii) philosophical or religious beliefs (iv) membership of a trade union or political party (v) physical or mental health or biometric details or genetic makeup (vi) addictions, sexual life (vii) the commission of criminal offences or proceedings and associated penalties or fines, (viii) the commission of any unlawful or objectionable conduct and associated penalties, or (ix) any Social Security Number or national identification number. If your CV does contain this information, then you agree that it is at your own risk. We cannot control third parties’ access to such information from our searchable database.
How We Store Information
Because managing your career is a life-long process, we retain all the information we gather about you in an effort to make repeat use of our sites more efficient, practical and relevant until you change or remove your personal data as described below. You may access, review, correct, update, change or delete your profile or CV at any time. Log into your account, go to your profile or CV, and make the desired changes.
Access to or correction, update, or deletion of your personal information may be denied or limited by CareerOne if it would violate another person’s rights and/or as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you wish to delete or close your account or account profile information altogether, please contact us. We will send you an email to confirm that your personal information has been deleted (save for an archival copy which is not accessible by you or third parties on the Internet). The archival copy is retained only for as long as needed for audit and record purposes. We will also keep logs and information that may relate to your activity on the site.
We will respond to information access requests without undue delay of receipt and in any event within 30 days. If we require additional time to provide access to your information, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 30 days and promptly supplement our response within the time period required by applicable law.
Separately, and regardless of your CV privacy setting, if you do not log into your account for a significant period of time, it will expire and be scheduled for deletion. Expired accounts are deleted on a periodic basis. Our current expiration period is approximately 36 months; we may extend or reduce this period in order to adjust to changing hiring patterns. If we change the period, we will update this notice. You will always receive an email from us before we delete your CV in this manner.
You are responsible for keeping your username and password secret.
CareerOne takes appropriate measures to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorised access, use, alteration or disclosure. However, the Internet is an open system and we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will not be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. You can find additional information on conducting a safe job search in our Security Centre. You should be aware that CVs may be monitored by your current employer.
When you place an order online at CareerOne, your credit card information is encrypted with industry standard encryption. This makes it difficult for your credit card information to be intercepted or stolen while being transmitted. CareerOne uses a service company to process its credit card transactions. For further information on this company’s privacy and security practices, please click here.
CareerOne is not intended for, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 18.
CareerOne Pty Limited
Level 5 44 Pitt St
Sydney NSW 2000
We will use reasonable efforts to promptly answer your question or resolve your problem.
- Security: These cookies allow us to secure access to your account.
- Preference: These cookies are used to store your preferences like language choice and display of job search results.
- Advertising: We use non-identifiable information about you to show you advertising.
A cookie is a text file that is either stored in your computer’s memory temporarily (a “session” cookie) or placed on your hard drive (a “persistent” cookie) by a Web page server. Cookies are not used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to your computer and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
We use “persistent” cookies primarily to ensure that we do not show you pages that you have already seen and to personalise your site experience and save you time. “Persistent” Cookies enable us to recognise whether you have responded to any poll or seen an advertisement or information notice placed on the site so that we do not show you the poll, advertisement or notice again the next time you visit our site. If you are a recruiter and have an alliance arrangement in place with CareerOne we also use “persistent” cookies to recall your alliance status and display your correct pricing information when you access our site. The “persistent” cookies we use will remain on your computer after you have left our site and will expire when you log out of the Sites or 60 days after your last visit for security cookies, 90 days after your last visit for poll response and alliance cookies, or two years after your last visit for advertisement and information notice cookies.
We also allow other companies to display advertisements to you while you are visiting our Sites. Because your web browser must request these advertisements from the other companies’ servers, these companies can view, edit or set their own cookies, just as if you had requested a web page from their site. CareerOne has no control over, and is not responsible for, the practices of those third party advertisers. CareerOne encourages you to review the policies of such advertisers. (You will find additional information about the following third party ad servers at Double Click and Atlas Solutions. We use other third party ad servers as well; a way to opt out of third party cookies is to modify your browser settings to decline cookies as described at the end of this statement.)
We use persistent cookies and related technologies (such as web beacons described below) to determine and track direct and indirect candidate application traffic in response to job postings either on CareerOne or on the websites of third parties through CareerOne’s Career Ad Network. We also allow persistent third party cookies as part of online advertising campaigns to determine and track site traffic landing from CareerOne’s advertising banners that have been placed on the websites of third parties. The data collected via these cookies is anonymous and the information is not linked to your personally identifiable information without your permission. The “persistent” cookies placed by our third party ad servers will remain on your computer after you have left our site for up to 20 years unless you choose to delete them.
Additionally, we use “Flash cookies”, also known as “Local Shared Objects”, to preserve video player settings and for user authentication purposes. You can adjust your settings for your Flash cookies here
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies at any time by modifying your browser settings. See below for instructions. If you choose to decline cookies, however, that may hinder performance and negatively impact your experience on the web site.
Web Beacons: CareerOne Web pages and the Web pages of our partners also utilize electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs, clear gifs or action tags) that allow us to collect certain information about users’ visits to these Web pages (including the number of users who have visited those pages), measure and improve the effectiveness of advertisements and job postings, and deliver co-branded services. Web beacons are not used to access your personally identifiable information; they are a technique used to compile aggregated statistics about web site usage. Web beacons collect only a limited set of information including a cookie number, time and date of page view and a description of the page on which the Web beacon resides. This information may be shared with third party processors for processing on behalf of CareerOne, as well as with clients, partners, and other third parties so that they can understand the kinds of visitors to the Web pages, how those visitors use the those Web Pages, and the effectiveness of their advertisements and job postings.
Instructions for removing cookies
Please follow the guide for removing cookies from your browser at https://www.comparitech.com/internet-providers/how-to-clear-cookies/.